My sewing has had a torrid time of it lately, so I’m really really pleased to have finished a dress that I love!
Sarah from @sewsarahsmith, Suzy from @sewing_in_spain and Monika from @rocco.sienna set up a friendly challenge to sew a shirtdress in time for Summer.
It’s such a great idea to set up a challenge that is so versatile, as everyone needs a shirt dress in their wardrobe! Prizes will be awarded at random, rather than being judged on ability or Instagram popularity which is a brilliant way to encourage sewists of all abilities to have a go.
So I finally made McCalls M6885. I made attempts at two other styles but they just didn’t look right. Sewmanju has made two versions of this pattern. I have to agree with her that turning out the ties was a real pain, but worth it. I used this Tutorial to attach the collar, as I don’t think I’ve sewn a collar with a collar stand since doing O level dress at school.
I had a bit of trouble with the button holes, having to unpick four of them, I think my machine and me had forgotten what to do, I can’t remember the last thing I made with buttons. The buttons were from a charity shop in Lincoln, so a bargain!
Fabric was from the Remnant House, in Harrogate, the pattern is so busy you can’t see any of the details like the pockets and ties in these photos! I made the sleeveless version, which has been lovely and cool today in the sun.
Despite my other half telling me it looks likes wee willie winkies nightshirt, l like the high low hem. I’d love to make some more shirt dresses using this pattern or perhaps vogue pattern V8829, which is a shirt dress with no gathers anywhere, my preferred option.
But I need to get on with a couple of dresses for events in July and September, it will probably be next year now before I’ve got time to tackle another shirtdress, which is a bit of a shame.