I’m really pleased with my September makes.
I made a dress for my neighbours wedding, using this pattern and lovely drapery viscose from Guthrie and Ghani.
I was good and made a toile. The darts are really unusual as you can see in the toile.
It also gaped, so I pinched out two inches from the neckline. I also decided to keep the skirt front flat, rather than draped. I added flutter sleeves from the prima pattern, I’ve not made any of the tops yet but have used the sleeves twice this month to hack patterns. I used orange bias binding rather than making facings, which I definitely prefer.
I don’t think black is a flattering colour for me, and if I was going to be really critical, I think the sleeves should be an inch longer. But I loved wearing the dress, it was a perfect ‘wedding guest’ dress, and the black background stopped it being too summery. I know I’ve changed the pattern quite a bit, it’s very similar to the sewoverit Eve dress now. It’s my first proper wrap dress, as all my others are mock ones, it was fine though, as the wrap part is big enough not to lead to any flashing of next weeks washing as my mum would say!
The wedding was in North Yorkshire, and the temperature was decidedly on the cool side. I wasn’t sure what to wear as a cover up, and started looking at pasminas, but my coral coatigan matched the orange middles of the hydrangea perfectly! So although the dress fabric was a case of “beautiful fabric I must have” without really thinking about if it suited me or went with anything in my wardrobe, it actually worked with something I’ve made this year!
This dress was my attempt to have some thing that reflected current fashion in my wardrobe. I think it’s worked, it’s a great colour and a comfortable weekend dress. Apart from the fact I’m a lot shorter and wider than the model from the Finery website! I used McCalls M6886 for the dress, and the prima pattern above for the sleeves.
Here is my third sewhouse seven toaster top. It’s my favourite one, the fabric is beautiful faux suede from the fabric godmother.
I also made some pyjama bottoms using the TATB Margot pattern that I’ve used before.
I think I’ve got enough to make a top to go with them, but it will be next month now. Might even get a photo!
My purchases this month were the faux suede and some turquoise jersey from Fabrics Galore that I couldn’t resist.
So I’ve bought five metres this month and used eleven. So it’s going in the right direction, and the best thing is that I’ve made clothes I like and will wear.