Do you remember the recent blog post with my plans for the rest of 2017? Have I stuck to it? Of course not! I blame #sewupnorth. I got this New Look pattern in the fabric and pattern swap, and despite planning a week in Wales this year and not a Caribbean cruise, I made the dress. I love the fabric, but it’s so bright I’m only going to wear it on holiday or on a really hot day.
I’m so pleased with my zip insertion. I’ve never managed a successful concealed zip before. The lovely Amanda included her technique in a vlog post which I used, and it’s brilliant – look at it!
So so the next thing I made, again more suited to a cruise, was this Polly Margot mashup jumpsuit.
I printed out the Polly playsuit PDF, the top and bottom are two separate pieces. The trouser shape was very different to the Margot pyjamas, which I knew fitted successfully, so I decided to use the Margot pyjamas for the bottom half. I made a toile of the top, and ended up lengthening it by 2 inches.
I put a handpicked zip in the back, as found it was a bit difficult to get on and off with the opening suggested.
Part of me thinks I should have kept them as separate pieces, but I’ll see how much I wear this. I posed the question on Instagram, the consensus was wear it, and maybe split into two pieces when no one is wearing jumpsuits anymore.
I also made some bags this month, using fabric and pleather from the fabric godmother. The fabric was black coated with silver lurex. It looked great, but the silver is coming off. The pleather was lovely quality, but too stretchy and soft, when hemming or trying to make straps the fabric twisted. Out of three bags only one was really successful, which is the gold one. I used stiff interfacing behind the lininng, and used the back of the silver coated lurex as handles. The black and silver ones have gone in the charity bag, but I’ve used the gold one quite a bit this summer. The tutorial I used is here
I made a navy toaster sweater, but the fleecy backed sweatshirting didn’t have enough stretch so feels constrictive and is a bit heavy really. So I made another one in the navy and white ponte I bought on the #sewupnorth day. I combined the two versions of the pattern, and like this a lot!
I also made another Santa Monica tee shirt, but am not sure about it either. The colours aren’t good for me, I look drained and tired here, and its a really bad hair day! I’ve worn it again since, and looked exactly the same, drained and tired, so off to the charity shop this goes!
I got sucked in by Instagram into buying this lemons fabric from pigeon wishes on Etsy, it will probably be made into a spring or summer dress next year. I also bought 8 metres of lining fabric, navy with tiny polka dots but I don’t mind that, and it doesn’t count in my fabric collection.
So ive used 10 metres of fabric this month, and bought 2.5 (excluding the lining!) which is pretty good for me, I might finally be getting into using my stash!